A recipe for Sweet Potato Candy that is a healthy choice for a homemade candy
1. Wash and scrub sweet potatoes. Cook in boiling water until soft; let cool, then peel, mash, and pass through a sieve. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan on low heat dissolve the sugar with the water; cover, then simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to wash down crystals from the sides of the pan.
3. Uncover and continue cooking on medium heat to the firm ball stage (242 degrees F) or until the syrup forms a firm ball that does not flatten when removed from cold water.
4. Add the potatoes to the syrup. Let cook until the mixture resembles a paste. Remove from heat and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until cool.
5. By hand, roll bits of paste into 1 x 3-inch sticks. Place them on a board covered with wax paper and let them dry in a warm, dray place for 24 hours.
6. The following day, brush the candies with Glaze. Dry again. Wrap individual candies in wax paper or plastic wrap.
1. Boil sugar with water to the thread stage (234 degrees F). Syrup will spin a 2-inch thread when dropped from a spoon. Remove from heat and apply with a pastry brush to the candies.